19 June 2009

Montenegro

Dear Readers,

My readership is down. Way down. Google analytics (which is also blocked) reports my
monthly viewership has dropped 39%.

This is not all together surprising because:
  1. I'm operating a blocked blog (which means I must go through a somewhat cumbersome processes to gain access and wait for the slow connection.)
  2. Because of the cumbersome process I am less inclined to blog
  3. Because I am less inclinded to blog, readers get bored and don't check in as frequently
  4. Because of the blocked status and several other extenuating circumstances in our host country I am finding it (personally) more difficult to find positive subject matter to blog about. And really, since no one likes an angry blog, I have refrained on many days.
  5. I've had family visiting (which is wonderful, but interrupts your daily routine-- These of course are wonderful interruptions like traveling to interesting destinations like Xi'an, or Beijing; opportunities like late night sea side walks with my sister, or afternoon coffee @ a trendy Korean cafe with my parents!)
  6. The magazine gig is keeping me pretty busy. (Go to www.qingdaoexpat.com and check out our latest issue.)
But, all that aside, when I accessed analytics today I learned I had a hit from Montenegro*. (The Chinese government is not the only one who can monitor my blog site!) I don't even know anyone in Montenegro. But, I was privately pleased. Blocked or not I'm still getting out. And, dear readers, even if my posts are less frequent, thank you to those of you who check back regularly even if it is to find the same post and pics lingering at the top.

Yours very cordially,
Tai Tai Johnson

*Montenegro is located in the Balkans or southeastern Europe along the coast of the Adriatic Sea.

1 comment:

globalgal said...

Hi there, I know how you feel! I've pretty much stopped blogging for the summer b/c I am so fed up with not being able to access all my favorite blogs for inspiration! I recently started using a VPN, which helps, but it is sometimes a little inconvenient... you can download it for free, just google "hotspot shield". Open your browser, open hotspot shield and connect. It adds a little advertisement banner to each page you load, but at least you can access blocked websites.

In addition, I just got a look at Qingdao Expat magazine, and I have to say great job! I SO wish I lived in a place where I could be part of a community. Here in Linyi it is quite lonely at times.

From across the province and from under the Great Firewall! - Global Gal