A couple of weeks ago Mr. Johnson said, "You know that stinky market," and I nodded because I immediately knew which stinky market he was mentioning. "They have other stuff there too every morning."
My interest was piqued. After the kids boarded the bus that Wednesday morning. After Mr. Johnson and I had shared our morning coffee (this is a ritual I love in China, and savor, because I know when we return to the US I will not have this luxury.) I climbed into the van with him, armed with the Nikon and a pocketful of small bills. (You only carry small bills to a stinky market.)
The "other stuff," turned out not to be very appealing... toenail clippers, metal clothes pins, little scoops (also metal) to clean out your ears, fall clothing, light weight long undies (the heavier weight ones will be out later). I found a lady selling lined baskets that were originally destined to for export but somehow wound up @ the stinky market.
I also bought some great sweet potatoes, still covered in dirt, a tiny bunch of cilantro (5 mao) and the most beautiful cauliflower I've every seen. (Which the kids loved.)
Of course I ended up taking pictures of the things that qualify it for being a stinky market... live poultry, fresh fish and raw meat. It's an adventure @ the stinky market, I only wish these photos where sniffable!
1 comment:
Jen,
We sat with Wes & Becky at the Chelsen-Blanchard wedding last weekend, and I finally got your blog's name in my head well enough to remember it until I returned to the laptop. She'd told me about it at a previous Chelsen event, and I regret not checking on it until '09. However, I have had the best time reading the WHOLE thing this week!! When you return to the states, I hope you will be willing to visit NCHS to share your fascinating experiences with a number of the classes. ~Mrs. H.
Post a Comment