31 March 2010

The Ode to a Cook Book


Dear Betty Crocker,

Thank you for moving to China with me.

Thank you for your straightforward and non-condescending directions. Especially for hard-boiled eggs. (I am thirty-something and I still need to consult page 163 each Easter season.)

Thanks too for great recipes for things like Guacamole and Hummus. Foods that enriched our time away from US supermarkets and don't call for ingredients I can't get here.

You have saved us, Miss Betty, from many a night of cereal for supper. (Especially in that first year when I couldn't tell the large bags of MSG from table salt.)

I remain forever in your debt for your book: Betty Crocker's New Cookbook: Everything You Need to Know to Cook. My roux splattered pages are a tribute to your greatness!

Very cordially yours,
Tai Tai Johnson

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

. . . . now I'm craving hummus and some guacamole
LOL bags of MSG, seriously?
There is no guacamole like Plano guacamole, but you'll have to fight Vivian for it

globalgal said...

OMG I am seriously living in the hinterland. You mean to tell me you can get the ingredients for guacamole and hummus in Qingdao? I haven't seen an avocado or a chickpea in years!!

Frau Johnson said...

GG- Both avocados and (canned) chickpeas are available at METRO Cash & Carry. I haven't found tahini, but I make do with sesame oil and ground sesame seeds. I'm telling you GG... its time to make that trip into QD!!

RPB-- LOL! Plano Guac!! Love that Vivi has already acquired a multi-ethnic palate!