22 January 2009

Qi Paos

So… its that time of year again… throngs of people rushing to buy their New Year’s presents, Christmas lights strung in all variety of ways (making everything look “lit up like a Christmas tree” but it’s really lit up for the Lunar New Year!), fireworks, red envelopes, and new clothes. For the Johnson girlies it was time to head to the tailor to have this year’s qi pao (sounds like: chee pow) made for their New Year’s performance at school.

It was so cold inside the tailor’s that we kept our hats and coats on (until the final moment when the measuring takes place!) Chinese buildings are usually not heated and to compensate locals don several layers, tote hot water bottles, and keep their loose green tea covered in boiling water.

Selecting the silk fabric traditionally used for qi paos.
Eliza' signs her name in Chinese on the order form.

Taking Eliza's measurments.



and Millie's measurments.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love "Nothing's gonna change my world". great choice for the subject matter. I am hoping to hear "everybody was kong-fu fighting" soon.
Enjoy singapore, QDE

Anonymous said...

I just had some Qi Paos made where I live south of you in the city of Linyi. My experience was exactly the same - freezing cold shop, lots of beautiful silks, measuring, giggling from the sales girls. And the result - a beautiful dress for the equivalent of 25 USD! I'm enjoying your blog!