03 May 2010

The Reluctant Blogger

I missed blogging April almost entirely. Yet I am reluctant to actually sit down @ the Dell and start composing paragraphs and recounting moments.

Why, you may ask is the Tai Tai reluctant?

It's been a weird spring weather-wise. I am happy to report this weekend was lovely. We enjoyed time outside. Dined alfresco. Went to bed rosy cheeked. Noses sprinkled with fresh freckles. Spring has suddenly burst into existance in QD... and we couldn't be more delighted. Never has there been such a lenten spring season during our tenure here. Last Wednesday it snowed! Snowed! at the end of April in a city that rarely sees the white stuff. It felt like the gloom of almost spring would loom forever. A foggy cold purgatory stealing entire pages of the calendar.

It's been birthday time. We had our "April Team" Birthdays (Bea loves being on the April team with Mom and Dad... which is great... at least someone likes nearly sharing a birthday.) I've decided I will now start celebrating my birthday in October. October 2 is my half birthday. And, I've promised Mr. Johnson it's my new birthday. Sharing the same birthday as your spouse is, let me be honest, frustrating. I want my own day. I want him to have his own day. Beyond the total weird factor of being born on the exact same day and year-- Let me just tell you... it is a conversation starter! No body can believe it. And once they finally believe it they can't stop commenting on the rarity of it... Beyond the weirdness is the irritation. So, for the official Bloggy record, my birthday is now in October. I don't need presents. I don't want presents. (except perhaps from my husband... who now has plenty of advance notice and warning, and a new group to hold him accountable to remember my birthday... my six readers!)

We're preparing to say goodbye. It's that bittersweet time of year. Good byes. Good Lucks! And this time, the silent wondering if it would be any easier if we were saying our goodbyes as well. (Probably no easier we've decided!) We are watching our daughters slowly release themselves to the reality that friends who have been sitting beside them all year in the classroom will now be somewhere across the globe, back in their home country, or perhaps a new one. Speaking another language, beginning a new stage. We are celebrating friendships, cherishing moments, and fully aware we are the cusp of another season of good byes.

The New Job isn't so Dreamy. Maybe I pushed it when I reported Mr. Johnson's belief of a dream job. There has been a sort of melancholy setting in, as he realized the fabulous team he is leaving is not easily replaced. He misses the relationships he had with his previous Chinese colleagues, and wonders if a similar situation is possible in his new role. Only time will tell. For now he is spending his time camped out in hotel business centers in cities in China we'd never heard of ... he's recruiting for his design team and interviewing candidates. Its been less rewarding then he hoped, but he's only a month in. He's giving it time, and we're hoping in time his travel schedule will tame down a little!

Phew... The Tai Tai did it. Recounted the reluctance. Explained the Echoey Silence. Promises to Keep Better Up to Date. And maybe even post some pictures sometime!!

2 comments:

Every Day is an Adventure said...

This time of year is always so bittersweet. I understand your lack of posts. Rachel is sadly counting down the days of May until her last day of school. She is sad to be again saying good-bye and actually asked, "When do I get to be the one who stays and others go?" ....the insight of an almost seven year old. Hope May is beautiful and full of happy days :)

sbowler said...

Thanks for the update. Praying that Mr. Johnson's job becomes more dreamy.