When we left them after dinner last night I told Mr. Johnson it's like hospice. You sit, forcing a smile to cover your sadness, smiling at the people who love to be with, fearful to make eye contact for too long, lest they see the misty eyes. You know that the moments are ticking away, and you know that they are going to a better place... but we are feeling so sad to loose them all the same.
E. and I had a good 30 minute cry before she finally climbed to her top bunk last night.
We're still scoping tickets for this summer, but I think we'll have to add Vancouver to the itinerary.

2 comments:
Living in a small city with so few expats, we haven't experienced this aspect of expat life. (Well, maybe some of our friends will, since we're the ones leaving soon!) But I do remember what it was like in Kuwait as a teen to watch friends leave. Oh and btw, Air Canada's flight to Vancouver (from both Shanghai & Beijing) is really nice! They've got great new aircraft!
And not to tempt you too much, but I've got a Vancouver guidebook looking for a good home!
Post a Comment