I put this link, http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/21/world/asia/21gender.html?_r=1, on my Facebook page earlier this week, because the article and it's topic, and the fact that I have three daughters, really resonated with me. It's a long piece, and one I had both of my older girls read.
So far, E only got half way through... its a meaty article, and long, especially for an eight-year-old. But MGJ has read it, and had some time to digest it. (She and I both read Three Cups of Tea a year or so ago.) I'm curious to learn more of her perspective, which out of respect to her I won't post here (my kids are forever letting me know what I can and can't blog about!)
But I'm curious about your perspective. Any thoughts out there on this topic and article?
2 comments:
I just read it and I have never heard of this before! I find it disturbing, and yet these "boys" are having a much better life while they are "boys". Most disturbing to me is that Mehran's father is now content with his fake son...that is bizarre and just reiterates how everything is for show. Articles like this make me appreciative that I am a US citizen with the ability to raise girls, as girls who can succeed on an equal footing with boys.
I also love that M and E have read/are reading the article!
This article hits home ... so many similarities to China ... to my own children ... I wonder how B might react to reading this? Not sure if I should ask her to read it? Not sure if I shouldn't?
BW
Post a Comment