13 September 2010

Twinkie Talk & Grocery Carts


There's a scene in my favorite chick flick, Steel Magnolias, where Shirley MacLaine's character Miss Ouiser Boudreaux lament's to Olympia Dukakis' character Miss Clairee about words she shouldn't have spoken.
"I shouldn't have said that," the spunky southern woman says as she navigates through the Piggly Wiggly with an open box of Twinkies in her cart.

"I shouldn't have said that... and I didn't mean it."

"Ouiser," Miss Clairee replies dramatically in her slow iconic Louisiana drawl, "Nobody pays any attention to you."

"But I feel bad," Miss Ouiser continues, "I'm an awful person."

"No you're not," her friend replies matter-of-factly. "You'd give your dog a kidney if he needed one."

And that seems to satisfy her crochety friend with a conscious.

Ouiser nibbles on a Twinkie, her faith restored.
Oh how I am in need of such absolution.

There are things I should not have said.

Things that come back to haunt me.

Words I said when I was tired or loney.

Things I said about living in China.

Last week it was me navigating my cart through the grocery. I picked up Mr Johnson's noontime call on my mobile, and heard the words that felt like a punch to the gut.

His program has been cut. Our time in China will draw to a dramatically quick end. He would have to sit on the details for 48 hours, until he notified his team. We would wait to tell the girls.

What a long, sad, hard week it has been.

He told his engineering team. We told our girls. We shared the news with our friends in QD.

Mr Johnson likens it to being @ your own funeral. Thoughtful texts, and phone calls have poured in. Sweet, tear-filled conversations. Honest words about the highs and lows of international living.

It has been one more reminder of just how rich our life has been here in friendships. How fortunate we have been to meet friends in China, both Chinese and other expats, who like us, are making a home, for a while, in a foreign land.

Despite recent quips to the contrary, I was feeling pretty settled back in QD. China is always more "do-able' when you're on the ground doing it, than somewhere else thinking about it. We were gearing up for the excitement the next two years would bring.

I have appologized to Mr Johnson for my words.

"Just for the record," I said, "You do know that I didn't really mean those things."

He said he understood.

Now, I just need Olympia Dukakis to indemnify me with some straight talk.

"Tai Tai Johnson," I need her to say with a sassy Southern accent,
"Nobody pays any attention to you. . . Now go have a Twinkie."


8 comments:

Linda said...

Oh my, what a twist of fate!

globalgal said...

Oh but we do listen to you! And I'm quite shocked to hear your news. I know how hard it can be to suddenly change your plans. I'm sending out my best wishes for a smooth transition.

Every Day is an Adventure said...

I got a little misty eyed just reading this. I remember how devastating it was for us when our time was cut short. I wasn't ready for our China experience to end. Will keep you all in our prayers that you find a peace with this and the next step is just as amazing. And, remember, you could end up like us...one year back in the US and off again...hugs

Donna said...

Oh no! It's hard to leave no matter what, but it's the absolute worst when you didn't see it coming.

Feel free to say all the bad things you want to - everyone's alloted a little bit of time to complain, don't you think?

rbrum said...

Well said, well written.
You guys were really thrown a curve ball.
If you are transferred home, be sure to come over for a Steele Magnolias night .

Anonymous said...

Funny isn't it ... how difficult it can be living in China ... and yet how much we don't want to leave ... and then miss it when we have.
Hang in there friends!
Hugs from us all,
B,M,B&T
(who are selfishly sad as well because it means perhaps an end to layovers in Vancouver)

Sue said...

Well here it is, in my best southern drawl I can muster as a gal from central Alabama.... we all know you didn't mean those things said. We've all said them, at one time or another. We would feel the very same 'punch in the gut' you are feeling, if we were at the place you are. I hated to hear this news for you guys and wish you all the best!! Let me know what time line you are looking at & where you guys are relocating to.
We love the friendship you, (my) 'Seanee' and the girls have given us. Our paths will cross again! Tell Sean, I'll bring banana pudding!!!
love you guys!

Mark said...

Wow, yeah the notice that you are done it is hard.. and on a short notice is even tougher, we struggled with an 8 month notice. It's amazing how much, despite all that you notice as different, you realize that you really have embraced and loved China - and also how much it really does welcome you. We wish you well with your return - you will enjoy the closeness with family and familiarity with what one expects of the western world, but there will be that longing for that life of constant China stress and relaxation that you will only be able to explain to others that have been there....